Royal Recipe: Watermelon Feta Salad
If you’re anything like me, once the summer temperatures blow past the 70s and into the 80s and 90s, I start looking for ways to beat the heat. And nothing says staying cool in summer than a chilled watermelon feta salad.
If you’ve never tried the watermelon-feta combination before, you might be perplexed at the pairing. But trust us, the unique pairing of the sweet watermelon with the salty feta is A-MAZ-ING. We love the recipe from Tori Avey, which is why we’ve re-posted her recipe below.
Really, the only thing better than this salad would to be eating it while floating in a pool on a pink flamingo.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 1 7-8 lb. seedless watermelon, chilled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (goat or sheep milk feta is best)
Total Time: 20 Minutes
1. Cut the rind from the watermelon, then chop the fruit into 1 inch chunks. (Or if pressed for time, buy pre-cut watermelon.) Place in colander to drain any excess water.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together black pepper, olive oil, fresh lime juice, and salt.
3. Place watermelon in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing and chopped mint over the watermelon. Toss gently to coat.
4. Pour the crumbled feta into the salad bowl and stir gently to mix the feta into the salad.
5. Serve with a slotted spoon to avoid serving excess liquid onto plates.
Salad is best right before serving. Prepare no more than 1 hour before your meal.