Royal Recipe: Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
As the weather starts to turn and we start reaching for sweatshirts not tank tops, what could be better than starting your day off with warm, yummy pancakes. Now I know what you are thinking—pancakes—gasp! Too much gluten! Too many carbs! Lucky for you, this pancake recipe from Willow Bird Baking (www.willowbirdbaking.com) is not only gluten-free and low-carb, they are also extremely tasty! So run to the kitchen, grab your spatula, and get ready to start your day with some melt-in-your-mouth fall happiness.
Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs (egg whites work also)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein
- Place a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Let it heat up while you prepare the pancakes. (You’ll know it’s ready when water dropped into the pan sizzles.)
- Whisk the pumpkin, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and protein powder (if using) until well combined. (You could also use a blender.)
- Spray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray before adding in 2-3 tablespoons of the pancake mixture and spreading it into a pancake shape.
- Let the pancakes cook for 35-45 seconds before flipping and letting the other side cook for 25-35 seconds.
- Remove to a plate and serve with nut butter, sugar-free syrup, butter, fruit, or whatever you’d like! (Note: they will not look fluffy, but will still taste delicious!)