Sweet Potato Stew w/ Chicken
This great stew is easy to prepare, fast and contains great healthy carbs for a post workout recovery. The paprika really adds the sense of a long slow cooked stew without the time this taste would normally take to get.
o make the stew you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons light extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 cups reduced sodium organic chicken broth
- 3 medium tomatoes or 1 can 14 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- 1 can 15-ounce cannelloni beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon organic smoked paprika !!
- 2 organic sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in the half inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded organic grilled season chicken or rotisserie chicken
- ¼ tsp. salt to taste (note: the rotisserie chicken will likely have plenty of sodium)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbl. chopped parsley (for garnish only)
in a pot large enough for the stew, heat the oil over medium heat adding the onion and cooking for three minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans and paprika and raise the temperature to high bring the stew to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cover the pot reducing the heat to low allowing the stew to simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Remove 1 cup of the stew and purée it in a blender. Return it to the pot.
Add the chicken and simmer until the chicken is heated throughout. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon into bowls and top with chopped parsley. Makes four servings.
Enjoy with good company.