IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP BY USING THIS APP
Does your night ever go like this: You finish your dinner, put the kids to bed, take care of a few chores only to realize you are past your bedtime. So you brush your teeth, etc. and crawl into bed, pick-up your cell phone and take care of a few last minute emails or check a few Facebook posts. An hour or more later, you are way past your bedtime, and have been subjected to an hour of cell phone blue light that is going to destroy your ability to fall asleep. Well you are in luck, there is an App for that.
In resent research, the blue light from our phones, tablets, laptops, TV’s and other devices disrupts your natural circadian rhythm which increases your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep as part of our healthy sleep-wake cycles. Why, “The cause is the photoreceptor in your eyes, called Melanopsin. This receptor is sensitive to a narrow band of blue light in the 460-480nm range which may suppress Melatonin production – a hormone responsible for your healthy sleep-wake cycles.” -Twilight Website
Basics on circadian rhythm and the role of melatonin
Simply put, staring at these electronic devices for a few hours before bedtime may cause your sleep to be delayed by up to an hour and even affect the sleep you do get. Remember, your started the process of getting to bed an hour late, followed by an hour on your device and now an hour of delayed sleep. That’s up to three hours of sleep lost in a world where quality sleep is required to function well.
So, of course there is an App for that. Twilight by Unbandoid Team turns your handheld devices into less destructive and less sleep draining products. The App runs in the background and adjusts your screen brightness and blue light based on the time of day. This causes a general reduction in blue light perceived by your photo receptors as the night wears on allowing you to fall asleep more easily.
Read more on Twilight’s website and take the App for a spin for free – it’s worth an hour of sleep if it works for – isn’t it?
Now that you are in the know, download the App and better yet, limit your exposure to electric light as you approach your bedtime. Try these tips to sleeping better.
- Plan on turning in earlier than you need. If you overshoot your goal bedtime you will still be ahead.
- Limit your exposure to light from electronic devices as early as 3 hours before bedtime.
- Drink water before going to bed, just avoid drinking it just before you go to bed. to be sure that you arn’t awaken to the bathroom
- Avoid reading content, email and posts, that may upset you or place a burden on you before sleep. Sitting on the emotions of an upsetting work email will send you tossing and turning all night for sure.
- Listen to soothing music before sleep can meditative and allow for a faster falling to sleep and a more restful night.